SEO is one of those things that everyone knows a little bit about but not enough to really be effective. If you have tried to dodge the rules of Google, you can’t run and you can’t hide. Eventually your site will be penalized and the traffic you were seeking will all but dry up.
Take a look at this list of six faux pas that Google does NOT permit:
- Hidden text. This is a sneaky tactic that will get your site blacklisted quicker than you can say GOOGLE. This is where you use tiny text of keywords written in the same color as your website’s background to be “found”. Don’t do it.
- Heavy use of keywords that are completely out of the context of the text. Your readers will be perplexed by it, but Google will not be confused.
- Instead of including irrelevant content with the hope of using keywords to attract visitors.
- Google really hates duplication. If you reuse material on several sites, it’s a fast road to blacklist for your sites.
Here are a three easy ways to raise your ranking:
- Use WordPress for your website. It’s a simple, it’s SEO friendly and it’s one of the best content management systems for getting your business found in searches.
- Use keywords. Do some research and identify three good keywords and target them.
- Be sure to claim your Google places listing and add as much useful information as you can. Seek google reviews (ASK for them and make it easy for your happy clients to do it by teaching them) to further augment your listing.